What You Need To Pack For Greece In September
Are you also wondering what to pack for the mystery land of Greece in September?
For those who have made the decision to visit Greece in September, go you! That is one smart decision and one of the best times to enjoy the country. Now, if you don’t know what to pack, pay attention to the following blog post that guides you through the essentials of packing for Greece during the month of September. You will want to bookmark this one!
September is the first month of autumn for the majority of the European countries. The rainy season starts and the first cold days make their appearance. That’s not the case in Greece. September is the fourth month of the summer, especially the first fifteen days are pure August! Keep in mind though, that the weather conditions might be different between the northern and the southern part of the country. For example, there is a big difference between Crete and Thrace during this transitional season, so prepare your suitcase accordingly.
Before cutting to the chase, it’s up to you to decide the type of your luggage. Depending on the location and the type of your vacation, choose wisely between rolling luggage and a travel backpack; it can make a huge difference!
The difference between mid summer and September in Greece, is that in September you can wear the same clothes without sweating from the excessive heat.
A hat is always a good idea!
Now it’s high time that we entered the main subject of this post; what to pack for Greece in September. We are going to start this packing list with our summer/beach essentials.
- Swimsuit is on top of this list for a reason. It will be a pity not to swim in the Aegean or the Ionian Sea in September. The water temperature is amazing after the summer heat and the beaches are not that crowded.
- Sunscreen is another must-have item. The sun still burns a lot and is quite dangerous. Better be safe than sorry!
- Hat/Bandana/Scarf in a few words something to cover your head from the sun. You might think that it is not necessary, but it is, especially if you are planning a hike.
- Beach towel: We recommend a beach towel with microfibres that dries fast so that you can move from place to place as quickly as you want.
- Sunglasses: apart from protecting your eyes from the sun, they can become really stylish.
- Beach shoes: a lot of beaches are rocky and steep. At the same time, they are worth visiting, so put a pair of beach shoes at your packing list and feel free to explore every shore.
- A reusable water bottle: It is 100% certain that you will get thirsty on the beach or while hiking. Plastic bottles are not the best option. They are not eco-friendly and they do not keep your beverage cold. Take a reusable thermos as your vacation bottle!
- Beach bag: all the above need to be put somewhere in order to get transferred. A beach bag of your choice will do just fine. If you do not have enough space for a beach bag in your luggage, you can use your backpack.
- A pair of flip-flops not only for the beach but also for a casual walk and of course for getting comfortable at your hotel.
- An after-sun product: the skin needs to get moisturized after a long sun exposure. The options are far too many – take the one that suits you.
- Swimsuit cover-up: just something to put on after swimming while heading for lunch/dinner. Bring a few options along so that you can mix and match.
After finishing the beach stuff, the next stage on our “what to pack for Greece in September” list, is clothing. A combination of summer and autumn clothing will do!
- T-shirts: Pack a bunch of several T-shirts. They are light to carry, they do not occupy much space in your suitcase, they can be washed easily even when you only have a sink.
- Shorts: once again several pairs of shorts are ideal for a morning walk, going to the beach or a small hike.
- Dresses for the ladies. Some casual dresses are perfect throughout the day. Pack one or two formal dresses in case of a more formal night out. Plus, long dresses are the best clothing option for the Greek islands, where the winds can get really strong.
- Trousers: since it’s the start of the autumn you will need a pair or two of long trousers.
- Jumpers & Jackets are of great importance. It’s 100% sure that you will need them. September nights can get cold, and as we have already said, the difference between the northern and the southern part of Greece is quite big, especially during the last days of the month. As a result, a jacket might be handy even in the middle of the day, in some cases.
- Scarfs: On top of being stylish, a scarf can make the difference on a cold night.
For those of us a bit more sensitive to the cold, a small cardigan or jacket may be the only change we need to make for late nights or when going higher up the mountain.
The start of September in southern Greece can still feel like summer!
Let’s talk about shoes now! Flip-flops are already on your packing list, but you are going to need more. A pair of sneakers is necessary even if you are not the most athletic type of person. During the holidays, there is always a need for more walking. Wearing comfortable shoes will make sightseeing much better. In the Greek province, the roads are not always in good shape, so a pair of sneakers can make walking a lot easier.
Greece is full of hiking paths! No matter where you are, on an island or the mainland, you will come across a hiking trail. The chances are that you will be fine with your sneakers because the majority of the paths are not of extremely difficulty. On the other hand, if you are a fan of hiking or trekking, bring your special shoes!
A pair of sandals should be your alternative. September has many hot days too that invite you to put your sandals on! In the unfortunate event of forgetting them, or if you do not have a pair of sandals that you like, do not worry. Greece and especially the capital, Athens, is famous for its sandal makers. In Athens, wander around Monastiraki square, where many shops produce and sell ancient-Greek styled sandals. Find the pair of sandals that matches you.
Moving on to the bags! Everybody gets comfy with a certain bag style, and he/she should bring this one along. A backpack is the extra one that you will need. It’s the best option for your flight and for carrying whatever you might need in a day. Imagine starting your day with some sightseeing, then some hiking and finally on the beach. You will need several different items and to be comfortable! A backpack is a must-have!
Every traveler should have certain documents and items with him, regardless of the destination. To be sure that you will not forget any, let’s list them!
- ID and passport: these are the documents that by all means you should not forget. It will make your life a lot difficult, and the chances are that you won’t reach your destination.
- Visa: Check out if you need a visa to enter Greece.
- Boarding pass: print it or have it on your mobile phone. Be sure that you have it before boarding.
- Driving license: Renting a car is a great way of exploring each destination. The freedom of deciding what time to depart is priceless.
- Credit/Debit cards: The most common way in 2019 for doing your purchases, is via a credit/debit card. Its other use is withdrawing money if need be.
- Cash: in some places, especially the most remote, you might find difficulty in finding a place with a POS machine. Flea markets and wandering sellers, are unlikely to receive cards as a payment method.
Electronics are hard to forget these days. Our smartphone is the first thing that we put in our bag/pocket before leaving the house. There are other electronic devices that we might forget or have not thought about:
- Charger: without our charger the mobile phone will be useless after a day or two. You will also need a charger for every electronic device you bring along with you.
- Adaptor: Greece has the typical European sockets. If you come from every other part of the world. You will need an adaptor.
- Laptop: not a must-have item. But you might want it during your vacation.
- iPad/E-reader: Reading is one of the best holiday activities. If you are a gadget maniac, bring with you your tablet, relax and enjoy.
- Power bank: We all spend most of our time, when we are in front of a screen, online. As a result, the battery is consumed really fast. During vacation it is not always easy to have the time or to find a socket to charge your phone. Be prepared with a power bank.
- Headphones if you love listening to music.
- Camera: for taking your memories back home. Consider an underwater camera as an option, for taking the most incredible pictures.
- Download travel apps & maps: they can be of great importance in an unfamiliar place.
Got the camera, the hat, the clothes, and of course, smile!
What to pack in your pharmacy for Greece I September?
- Mosquito repellent: you will need this one before the night falls. Apply it to your body even if you just want to hang out in the terrace.
- Jet lag relief pills can be handy after a long flight.
- Medication: by all means do not forget your personal medication.
- First aid kit: a tiny one will cover your needs.
- After bite gel: for all the mosquito bites.
What’s left to pack?
- Books: there is not a better companion for a trip.
- Travel guides: they have essential information about Greece that you might need.
- Deodorant: it can get really hot in Greece during September.
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Make up
- Hair Brush
- That was our guide for what you need to pack for Greece in September. Of course, you can take more but these are the essentials. September is one of the best months to visit Greece. Pack your luggage and get ready for the best trip of your life!
Hello! My name is Marianna and I am originally from Piraeus, Athens. After moving to Thessaloniki for my studies, to a small city in Hungary and in Paris as an exchange student, I returned back to my hometown. What do I like? Traveling, exploring new cultures, sports, everything that has to do with the sea, reading a good book, hanging out with friends and, of course, writing about amazing destinations!