Kythira island has been mentioned for its natural and architectural beauty in art, literature, paintings and movies. The ancient poet named Hesiod was the first one to put Kythira on the universal map by pointing out that it is the birthplace of Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty.
This hidden treasure, Kythira island, is located between the Peloponnese peninsula, the Ionian and Aegean sea. So close and yet so drawn away from the masses. It was influenced by different civilizations and claimed by many. The moment you step onto the beautiful sandy beaches next to the harbor, the distinct sense of discovering your own paradise will flow through you.
5 Day Trip – 1 Destination
We Travel In Groups
Dates Available Below
- The travel plan that we propose during the five day trip to this Aegean island aims to expose our travellers to an authentic experience with honesty and respect, giving them the chance to feel and breathe in all of what makes the island memorable. We expect to produce acoustic, olfactory, gustatory and visual experiences.
- The visitor immediately understands the geographical relief and how sea and wind affect the nature and density of soil and plants of the island. Thyme, sage and other herbs are everywhere leaving their distinct aroma. Meanwhile, deeper into the island you will notice the change of scenery where forests and wooded gorges are more common. Yet they alternate with low growing bushes and reeds around rivers and streams while falcons fly above.
- You will walk through the gorges, often next to waterfalls while exploring the trails. You will let yourself feel lost in the lush vegetation, around ducks, dragonflies and beetles, and in addition, you will have the chance to admire stunning views of the sea.
- Close by, there is a small island called Hytra where seals come to visit in the coral filled turquoise waters. Snorkeling there is one of the pure joys, as you will be able to admire the seashells at the bottom of the sea.
- The island is also known for the Sempreviva flower, the local yellow flower that once it blooms, there is no need for water and it will live forever. As the name itself implies it, Sempreviva means “life forever“.
- Each little village of Kythira island is unique in architecture. It is the meeting of different cultures and traditions, the enemies and the people’s occupations that led to that architectural diversity. Different modes from different conquerors make the scenery altogether admirable. Churches in caves, convents, bridges, castles, oil presses and windmills remain around the island as a reminder of religion, older customs and necessities.
- The food that is uniquely present in this island is a symbol of all the different cultures that have met in Kythira. Thanks to the nature that has been very generous in providing all these herbs and products we are blessed with these amazing aromas and flavors. Most delicious, provoking the palate, impeccable in its simplicity and ingredients, it leaves an impression that will always be remembered. It recreates childhood memories of comfort, warmth and intimacy or simply makes anew in the tastiest of ways!
- During your stay, we will attend workshops at traditional houses and experience home cooking that will be presented to us by experienced local women who pay attention to detail and have respect towards the ingredients. Finally, we will have the chance to see how pottery is done by local artisans.
- We will visit local bakeries for a traditional Kythirian rusk degustation. We will try locally made honey based delicacies with spices and nuts, spoon sweets, ice creams and liqueurs. Fleur de sel, “the best of the salt” will be introduced to us and we will get the chance to find out how it is picked.
- Our friends there are thrilled to introduce us to the local history throughout the centuries. As we discuss tradition and myths we will then become connected and relaxed. This is the time for an experience of a lifetime both mentally and physically.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Is this a private or a group tour?
This is a special trip we organize only for women for this upcoming September. We encourage women to join in and participate in this unique experience. There is no age limit or any skills requirement. Groups or individuals are welcome.
What are the dates for the One Island Many Faces trip?
The dates are:
28 September – 2 October ( 5 days-4 nights)
Please contact us for more details.
Is this an all inclusive trip?
The tour cost includes all accommodation, all tour transportation costs from the point of arrival to the point of departure (including domestic flights or ferry tickets); also meals are included (breakfast, lunch/dinner); and finally, all guided tours and other activities. Not included in the price are visa, travel insurance, tips, gifts, extra drinks and personal expenses in general. However, please note that you are responsible for arranging your international flight to Athens which will be our starting destination for this trip.
I have more questions, how will I contact you?
Great! Please follow this link so we can arrange a suitable time for a Skype or Viber/WhatsApp chat.